Timestamped Field Notes
When observing wildlife (e.g. raptor monitoring) it is important to take timely notes, and yet not lose focus on the species of interest. Field Notes was built (after too many observations periods fumbling with typing on an iOS device keyboard) with that in mind, minimizing the device interaction involved. The app automatically captures the note time, and allows configuration of "quick text" buttons for common/pre-defined words. No more correcting typos and missing the action, no more trying to type times and having the calendar app launch instead. Take notes easily in the field, then export them for an optional final edit before submission.
How to create Timestamped Field Notes:
- Start one or more "observation events" (date/time stamped.)
- Enter text by pressing one or more pages of "quick text buttons" (or fallback to keyboard.)
- Export the timestamped text in chronological order, via e-mail or cut-n-paste.
- Record by minutes and/or include seconds via settings.
How to customize your Quick Text buttons:
- Create your own "quick text buttons". Enter text via the keyboard when needed.
- Import and/or Export "quick text buttons" for moving between devices.
- "Timestamped Field Notes app" will suggest words/phrases for use as quick text by reading past notes.
Save yourself time and frustration, and don't miss out on observing the real action as the notes take care of themselves. See our FAQ for more information.
Simple How To
A simple example of how to use Timestamped Field Notes for create any quick notes: